What are Facebook’s most recent, most engaging posts?
To answer this question, BuzzSumo analyzed more than 800 million posts from 2016. We looked at overall engagement, and at shares, likes and comments separately.
Here’s what they found:
- Questions, images, and videos were more engaging than all other post types. Videos were most likely to be shared.
- The best day of the week for engagement was Sunday.
- Post engagement was higher whenever there was a lower volume of public posts in the news feed. There was an inverse relationship between low volume and high interaction, despite low volume periods coinciding with the overnight hours for many Facebook users.
- Short posts of less than 50 characters were more engaging than long posts.
- If a post linked to a piece of content outside Facebook, people engaged with it more if the link was to a longer article.
- During 2016, images posted directly to Facebook and not through Instagram were more engaging than images posted to Facebook via Instagram.
Mari Smith’s top tips for Facebook content in 2017Mari Smith is a leading authority on Facebook Marketing. During our presentation, Mari described a comprehensive Facebook content plan for 2017. The key points are:
- Create highly shareable video and photo content
- Amplify reach on some posts with paid promotion.
- Use the Mari Method for amplification. First, allow organic reach to accumulate for up to 24 hours, then pay some of your total budget to boost the post. Wait for up to 24 hours for reach to accumulate again from the promotion, then, apply more money for increased paid promotion.
- Include CTA buttons and links
- Use Facebook Live
- Test giveaways with your audience.
- Publish 5x/week; experiment with posting outside business hours
- Make many of those posts videos.
- Retarget with Engagement Custom Audiences based on:
- video view
- page interactions
- lookalike audiences
- Focus on educating, and whenever possible entertaining, your audience.